Gah!! DON’T Do That!!
In honor of my upcoming appearance at the LDStorymakers Conference this weekend, I have put together my very own personal list of top 10 writers’ conference don’ts.
10. DON’T be scared!
9. DON’T apologize for telling me about your book. Or asking me questions. That’s why I am there.
8. It should go without saying, but DON’T pitch me your book in the bathroom.
7. DON’T forget to compliment my cute outfits.
6. DON’T forget that I’m just a person. A person who loves books. (This one makes me want to break out into Barbra Streisand’s People, people who need people (which, how could you possibly be intimidated by me after I just admitted that??))
5. DON’T be afraid to just come up and introduce yourself.
4. DON’T forget to laugh at my jokes.
3. DON’T speak to me before I’ve had my morning coffee.
2. DON’T speak to me before I’ve had my morning coffee.
Yeah, that one bore repeating.
Hmm, this list was actually harder than I thought. Probably a DO list would be easier, but whatever.
I feel like everyone is always all don’t do this and don’t do that. But really, the biggest thing I could think of is to try not to be nervous.
There’s very little that you could do at a conference that would be so catastrophic. So I think that my number 1 piece of advice would be this:
1. DON’T worry so much about the DON’Ts and just go DO.*
*I’m not really sure what that means but it sounded appropriately inspirational for the end of my list. Of course I thought of it after the fact so now I have to go cut out one from my original list.
Tell me your biggest conference fear in the comments. Or best conference horror story!